Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Abby 1 : Mom 0

So, yesterday was the start of potty training. Needless to say, it didn't go well. Those of you who know Abby will understand the following story. Here is how it went.
I put her in underwear with a pull up over it and sent her on her way. I set the timer and we were off. 30 minutes later, here is our conversation.
M: Abby, did you mess your pants?
A: No mom, I went in my diaper.
I take her to the bathroom, sit her down, hose her off while she is telling me it is an accident, and crying how she doesn't like the potty.

Never fear, I brush myself off and we start again. I change her and send her on her way. Every 30 minutes or so we head to the bathroom with no success. We leave to pick up Thomas from school and when we get home I realize that she has been holding it for over 4 hours. I get tough and make her sit on the potty until she goes. I'm thinking, "She'll cave in, I'll win, and all will be well." YEAH RIGHT! This goes on for 2 HOURS! Finally I put her in a pull up because the babysitter was coming, and I wasn't about to let the babysitter deal with potty training, (isn't that nice of me!)and I go get ready to go out with Nathan.
15 minutes later, here is our conversation.
A: Am I in a diaper, or underwear?
M: diaper. Abby, did you wet your pants?
A: Will you change me? I'm wet.
M: No, if you are going to wear a diaper, than you are going to have to change yourself.
Abby leaves and I don't think about it. A few minutes later, she goes walking down the hall just as I am coming out of my room and says:
A: I did it all by myself!
I went in to her room and there on the floor is her wet diaper, and a used wipe!

At the end of the day the score is Abby:1, Mom: 0

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate potty training!

Funny story...they sure know how to try to talk their way out of things don't they? Way to be nice and save the babysitter! I have had to watch a friends kid during her potty training and it was HARD considering mine was being potty trained at the same time!

Quincy Sorensen said...

Kelly, I am awaiting tomorrow's score! Oh dear, I really do not like potty training.

Sara said...

Hang in there Kelly! She won't get married in pull-ups, I am sure!